One of the roles brands can play in helping citizens to reduce their own environmental footprint is to inspire, educate and encourage more sustainable habits.
Fairy Liquid’s campaigns this year are a strong example of this. Fairy recently updated their product Life cycle analysis (LCA) and made a public statement to support more sustainable dishwashing habits, with the potential to save over 3.5 million tonnes of Co2 in a year across Europe.
Before inspiring citizens with what they can do to reduce their impact, it’s always key to consider your brand’s own impact on people and planet.
Fairy have been doing this through several initiatives.
- Reducing their Plastic Waste: They’ve introduced new packaging solutions that reduce their overall plastic content, using less harmful materials. They’re promoting the use of refillable containers and packs to minimise plastic waste.
- Improving Water Conservation: Fairy created an awareness campaign to educate consumers about the importance of using water efficiently during dishwashing. They’ve encouraged shorter pre-rinsing times, reminding people that you can save up to a 1/3 of energy usage and promoting the use of eco-friendly dishwasher models.
- Promoting Biodegradable Formulas: Fairy Liquid have invested in research and development to create biodegradable formulas that are as effective as their traditional counterparts – minimising the harmful chemicals that end up in our waterways.
Their LCA identified the key areas to encourage consumers to adopt more sustainable habits:
- Use Less Water and Energy: When handwashing dishes, fill the sink instead of letting the tap run continuously. This simple change can significantly reduce consumer’s water usage. If using a dishwasher, switch to short cycles, and reduce the temperature of the water you are using in the sink, or dishwasher.
- Embrace Refillable Containers: Many cleaning products now offer refill options. If refill stations are not readily available in your area, consider purchasing in bulk to reduce packaging waste.
- Emphasise ‘Proper’ Recycling: Recycling is crucial for reducing waste. Ensure you separate your recyclables properly, following your local recycling guidelines. Rinse containers thoroughly to avoid contamination, and always check the labels for recycling symbols to determine if an item is recyclable or not.
- Use more sustainability-focused products: Consider switching to cleaning products which are more focused on their impact on people and planet. Look for labels indicating biodegradable ingredients, recyclable packaging, and certifications from recognised sustainability organisations.
- Spread Awareness: Share your sustainable habits with friends, family, and colleagues. Small actions can create a ripple effect and inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives.
As consumers and citizens, we have the power to make a difference by adopting more sustainable habits; in this instance thinking about how we can choose more sustainable products, conserve water and energy, use refillable containers and ensure we are recycling properly all matter. If we help spread awareness to others, we can all work together to have a more positive impact.
Although brands cannot single-handedly address all the complex sustainability issues in the world, considering the influence of your brand as a form of brand citizenship can result in mutual benefits for consumers, businesses, society, and the environment. Contemplating the role of your marketing efforts in maximising positive impact on the long-term wellbeing of people & planet and finding ways to inspire individuals to adopt sustainable habits while reducing your corporate footprint, is crucial.